An encouraging verse sent by a friend...Psalm 73:26 "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Lyndsey's Mishap on Friday

I meant to blog about this earlier, but time got away from me. Last Friday, Lyndsey was climbing onto a swing in the back yard and fell off backwards. She cried, but my friend checked the movement of her shoulder and it seemed OK. However, then when she later tried to help Lyndsey get on the potty, she yelped (flag #1). At lunch time, when I was observing her (up from my nap at this point), I noticed that her hand and arm were hanging straight at her side all the time (flag #2), her hand looked a bit swollen (flag #3), she was awkward getting up into her booster seat as she was babying it (flag #4), and after giving her children's ibuprofin, nothing seemed to change (flag #5). My first thought was, "Oh, I wish Mom were here. She'd know what to do." But she wasn't due to be back for a while, so I had to do this on my own. Since it was Friday, I certainly didn't want to wait it out a day, putting us potentially in the emergency room on the weekend, so I called the dr. At 2:00, we headed to the pediatricians and after that to the hospital for x-rays. Lyndsey was such a trooper; she did great. We ended up back home at 5:00 with a diagnosis of a broken collarbone and orders to make a sling and give her children's Tylenol. (Thank You, Lord, for giving me the instinct to bring her to the dr.) Little did we know what a battle we would be in for with the Tylenol (gagging and spitting it back out in spite of its yummy orange flavor). Bob was persistent as we knew she needed it; she was acting out of character because she was hurting so much.

At this point, Lyndsey is doing quite well. We struggle to make sure she doesn't use that hand to carry things while wearing the sling, so we know it must be feeling better. Her neck is green from the bruising, so that's another sign of healing. She is supposed to go back to the dr. next week for a check-up.

4 comments:

  1. I remember when Bradley broke his collarbone and what an ordeal it was. He was 3 also! :) Her spitting out the Tylenol sounds a lot like Kelsey! She woke up screaming Friday night with an ear infection and I had one dose of Tylenol left in the house and what did she do with it? Spit it out, so there was no hope of helping the pain go away! It is sad considering they don't understand that it is to help them, but almost comical in a way too! (depending on my mood)LOL. I am praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smart Mumma! I saw the post above--3 is the age to break something, I guess; Emily was 3 when she broke her arm. Despite you hating as a parent for your child to go through that pain and long recovery, on the bright side bones tend to heal really well when they're young :). Also, there's a good chance she won't even remember after a while; Emily can't usually remember which arm she broke, and she spent all summer in a cast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sarah have you thought of using your own hair and having it made into a wig .it means sacrificing it early

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah,

    I am sorry it has taken so long to respond back to the sweet note you left on my blog. I have thought of you several times over the past few weeks, tears come to my eyes when I do. I remember having three little ones. To combine the news of cancer and then chemo while raising children is a lot for you to go through.

    Since I have known drug allergies I dealt with some reservations concerning the anesthetic during one of my earlier surgeries. The Lord encouraged me to talk to Him when I felt anxious, not to deny my feelings but to bring them to Him and His peace would guard my heart and my mind in Him. I heard the scripture not with a demand that I couldn't be anxious but I didn't need to be. A tender side of God as a Father who cared how I felt. To remember to come to Him and He would take care of me. He has yet to let me down. I am encouraged to see you are doing the same.(Phillipians 4:6-7)

    I am praying for you and would love to stay in touch.

    Love,

    Laurie Strand
    upapaddle.blogspot.com
    laura.strand@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete