An encouraging verse sent by a friend...Psalm 73:26 "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Chemo Plan

Today we scheduled my chemotherapy; I'm starting next Tuesday. Bob will go with me, and we'll stay in the hospital 1 night, returning some time in the afternoon on Wed. The timing depends on how my body reacts to the medication I'm given. I thought it might be helpful if I give a run-down of the game plan of what each 6 week "cycle" should look like.
Week 1-methotrexate: medication that has an antidote which means that it should be "well-tolerated" meaning I might be tired and maybe get mouth sores - treatment is a 24 hour trip to Boston
Week 2 - methotrexate: same as above
Week 3 - cisplatin an dadriamycin: medications that are very harsh and require administration through a port in my chest that will stay in for the year (dr. has prescribed 4 anti-nausea drugs that I'll need to work with to find a combination and timing that will help me; hair loss; fatigue; risk of infections) - treatment is a 48 hour trip to Boston and side effects usually are strongest for 1-2 weeks from hospital stay
Weeks 4-6 - recover and rest
I will have to complete 6 of these cycles. The dr. says to plan on it taking a year as many things can interrupt the schedule. I am praying that I will be finished and feeling good by Ethan's birthday.

12 comments:

  1. Sarah, It is Jeri Lynn...I will try to call you tomorrow. I saw that you posted on Laurie's site. I am glad that you found encouragement there. We are praying for you!!! :) My number has changed...so if you want to call it is 270-881-6624 and Ryan's 270-881-6626. We are hoping to come up in August...looking forward to visiting with you, meeting Ethan and viewing Lyndsay's scrapbook ;)! Love you girly! Jeri Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan (Treanor) CrowleyApril 17, 2009 at 7:13 AM

    "When I said, 'My foot is slipping,' your love, O Lord, supported me. When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul." Ps 94:18-19

    Praying for an infusion of great joy and strength - that which surpasses all understanding - as you start chemo.

    :) Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the Update Sarah,

    I will be praying for you, Bob and the kids. If I can do anything just ask.

    Vinnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah-- Thank you so much for sharing your updates with us..... Mike and I will both be praying for you that God would provide you with the strength you will need to get through the next months.

    Please let us know if we can help in anyway even if it is to come over and clean/grocery shop ect.... We are in the Grace directory.

    Laura Patton

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, This medicine will free you from cancer forever with the Grace of God. We will be praying that you can quickly find that combination of drugs and that your body will be able to tolerate this medicine. Get a lot of rest and be good to yourself and take it one day at a time. Love, Aunt Dianna

    ReplyDelete
  6. We will be praying for God to continue to make His presence known in your life as you enter this next step in the journey He has you on. I would so like to talk with you soon. Blessings to you dear friend!
    Love,
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah,
    We will be praying for you as you begin your chemo. We pray that your body will tolerate the medications well and that the medications will do their job. We'll also be praying for the kids and their understanding about mommy being away from them. We're thinking of you all, thank you so much for sharing your heart on this blog!
    Love
    Harlee, John, Riley

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi sarah and bob--i'm praying for you as you start your chemo treatments today--may God's strength and comfort surround you.

    Leela

    ReplyDelete
  9. the hunters... dont be afraid sarah ill take that fear for you. hold tight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. EVERYONE PRAY HARD LIFT UP YOUR ARMS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your comments have brought me to tears...God knew just what I needed to read and is using your words (and His words through you) to encourage me. Thank you. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bob and Sarah,
    You have so been on my heart the last few days. Will continue to pray for God's strength through the chemo. We love you guys.

    Paul and Julie Caruccio

    ReplyDelete