An encouraging verse sent by a friend...Psalm 73:26 "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Update

Well, a lot seems to be going on and at the same time, we're in the redundancy of "the cycle", trying to take care of myself so that I can get better and be ready to go back for more.

I've been struggling with perspective over the last week. It's been harder to focus on the positive and easier to be crabby and disillusioned. I know that there will be times of more and less discouragement, but I'm also wondering if cancer/chemo has stages kind of like the grieving process has stages. Does anybody have any knowledge about this? Maybe understanding how this tends to work and what might be coming would help me work with it better.

I'm reading "When I Lay My Isaac Down", and it's really challenging me. I've realized that one of the things I've needed to surrender was my dreams/expectations regarding Ethan's pregnancy and infancy. I think that God has just about brought me through that process, and it has been challenging with lots of tears. However, there definitely is more that I need to surrender to Him. Of course, giving up control (that truly is just an illusion anyway) has been ongoing...control of aspects of the kids' daily lives, my schedule, household decisions, how I walk, my health, etc. I hate to think of myself as a control freak, but when everything seems to be out of control, I'm realizing that a sense of control is more of a source of security than I realized. So, I see some hard changes on the horizon, and it won't be me that makes them. Only God can accomplish this, and that brings me to another area where I'm being stretched...trusting God. How absolutely crazy in that He is MOST trustworthy. However, I am human and this is where it's at. I want to trust Him with my days, not worrying about whether I'll have to do more chemo down the road or how I'm going to even make it through this one, but I am not. The book that I'm reading talked about Carol Kent having to work at trusting God with her son 1 minute at a time and then it turned to 5 minutes at a time. I think that's how it's going to be for me, asking Him to help me trust Him 1 minute at a time. This is a process, and it's not going to be in my timing.

On a lighter note, my hair has been short for over a week and buzzed (only 3 mm long) for a few days. Lyndsey touched it right after Bob buzzed it and told me that "it's sparkley", which I thought was very cute. Anderson seems to be doing fine with the change, handling it in his typical reserved way. The amazing thing to me is that my brother, Dan, was right about the no hair thing. He had told me weeks ago that the kids probably wouldn't even bat an eyelash at the change because people tend to see others as they've always known them (sort of by memory of what they have always looked like). Well, I wore my wig for the first time Sat. night, and my kids and Bob didn't even notice! Lyndsey walked into the bathroom, talked to me, and left without a comment about the hair. It wasn't until hours later that she started talking with me about my wig and asking questions like, "Where are yours sparkleys?" 8) Bob had a few minor interactions with me without any comment and then eventually commented in surprise, "Oh, you have the wig on! I didn't even notice!" Anderson wouldn't have commented right away anyway, so I'm not sure when he noticed, and of course, Ethan doesn't care about his Mumma's hair. So, Dan was right. The obstacles with the hair at this point are 1. getting the wig to fit right since it couldn't be done before and 2. learning how to sleep. I've found that my body can't seem to regulate its temperature now that I don't have insulation. I keep waking up, hot then cold. Last night was a bit better perhaps because I didn't sleep with a pillow and left the fan on. It's a work in progress.

4 comments:

  1. Sarah~
    What a blessing you are to me. I am in awe of how God is using you in this trial to be a light to all who are watching. My momma's/woman's heart aches/breaks for you. I am so glad that God is showing you that your family loves you for you and not all of the external qualities. I can't begin to tell you even how that impacts my view of myself! I am still praying. I continue to pray that God will reveal Himself to you in real and tangible ways and it is awesome to watch Him do this regularly for you! I will pray for the right temperature for your body to rest well. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking about you tonight, my friend. It was good to see you Sunday. Hope you are sleeping well tonight. Praying for you.
    amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. sarah you are an amazing woman!!! i was thinking about your question about having to go through the grieving process. and yes i'm pretty sure you'll go trough all those phases. just let them come and feel whatever emotion comes with them. you have suffred alot of loss through this circumstance, but i also believe you will gain sooo much. i have a great hope for you. know that you are in my prayers. kyla

    ReplyDelete
  4. During something such as you are going through I am sure there is a grieving process, you have handled it with such Grace. I am so challenged through you to seek out God more and rely on him more and challenge myself more to rely on him and not myself when times are challenging. Thank you for continuing to be open with all of us so we can pray for you and keep updated. I hope you will find peace and rest in God's arms knowing he has all the plans for your future already mapped out. God bless... Laura

    ReplyDelete