An encouraging verse sent by a friend...Psalm 73:26 "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Anderson's First Week of School

Yep! My little boy is now a first grader! He doesn't seem so little anymore! I miss him throughout the day, but I am also really enjoying the time with Ethan and Lyndsey...more on that later.
What was the first day of school like? Anderson was ready in plenty of time, excited to use his new flip chart (more on that in the next blog entry). He also didn't need to leave as early since the first day, the parents bring the kids to their classrooms. So, I had to hustle to get me, Ethan, and Lyndsey ready and out the door by 8:20. We did it! I think that Lyndsey was excited to see where Anderson would be going and who was in his class. We met Mrs. Marquis (which was also the name of my kindergarten teacher) and found Anderson's seat just as the bell was ringing for the school day to start. There was another little boy sitting at the same table, and he seemed very nice (and well-mannered and smart). I had a brief conversation with him and was very thankful that he is Anderson's table mate.
Anderson seems to be enjoying his new class, even though his best buds are in the other first grade. He sees them at recess, which is good. His teacher seems very nice, and I was pleased when he told me that toward the end of the first day of school, she asked the students to raise their hands if they had felt nervous about their first day of school. All students except 1, and the 2 teachers, raised their hands. I really appreciated this acknowledgment (for Anderson to see that it's OK to feel that way and that it's normal, for adults too). This seemed very wise to me. Anderson had not indicated that he was apprehensive about going back to school; he just didn't talk about it much. He was excited about his new school supplies and new lunchbox. (I'm so proud of Bob. He has initiated that Anderson should pack his lunch each night before school, rather than rely on Mumma to do it for him.)

No comments:

Post a Comment