An encouraging verse sent by a friend...Psalm 73:26 "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

Sunday, September 5, 2010

New routines

Well, school has started, and with it, new routines. I am amazed at how I can again see God's hand in protecting me through the last year or so. In preparing for this school year, the first time that I have a child in school all day every day, I realized that there are many firsts associated with this. I have a tendency to be quite goal-oriented, comfortable with having a plan, prone to trying to pack too much into a day, which would seem to mean that I'm likely to thrive on routine, right? Well, I have never had much of a routine with my kids. Sure, feedings/meals were routine. Lunch, read books, nap...routine. However, I never felt like I could have more of a routine than that, partly due to working 2 days a week which would require multiple routines - different ones for different days. I never thought that was the only reason though. I never really understood why I didn't work toward a morning routine and such, especially when friends shared that having a routine made the days with young children fun and productive, and helped beat the monotony that is common - the same cycle of changing diapers, doing housework, making meals, etc. Well, as I was creating a routine for the first time this year, it dawned on me that my lack of desire for a mothering routine (uncharacteristic of me) was God protecting me. You see, if I had an extensive routine before I got sick with cancer, it would have been a GREAT source of frustration for me. I imagine that it would have been 1 more large stressor as I watched a routine that I was comfortable with and felt was important, and perhaps had worked hard to implement, dissolve. How could people helping us manage to keep up a detailed routine as the kids tested their caregivers and balked at what didn't strike their fancy (as kids will do)? I think this would have been hard on everybody, especially poor Bob who would have received the brunt of it. Thankfully, this wasn't the case. I really believe that God was sparing me, and us. Isn't He good?
So, what is our routine like? We are still working on getting the kinks out, but the morning starts with me and Anderson having a devotional before school. Anderson and Lyndsey have personalized flip charts to get ready for the day (including making the beds!!! This is thanks to Mom's great influence during her months with us. Thanks, Mom!). The kids love their flip charts, and the charts help them stay on task without me nagging at them. They know what is expected of them, and it is their responsibility. (By the way, Lyndsey helped make her flip chart during "school" 1 day...great fun!) While Lyndsey watches Sesame Street at 9:00, I play with Ethan doing puzzles, wrestling, reading books, or helping him ride his horse, as well as get some chores done. Then the 3 of us have time for playing outside, going for a walk, whatever, until 11:30 when we eat lunch. The early lunch allows Ethan to get down for his nap by 12:30 (since there are days when we have to pick up Anderson at school at 3:00). Once Ethan is down for his nap, Lyndsey and I have school time! We are really enjoying this. Then Lyndsey goes down for a rest.
I'm still trying to figure out how to fit in a few things like my hip exercises, but I'm really excited about this. For the first time, I'm not having to harass the kids in the morning to get dressed and Lyndsey to comb her hair (since they don't get breakfast until they're dressed, hair combed, and bed made). I'm also finding that the quality time with each of the kids is happening regularly. This warms my heart. Also, when something different happens, I have a more realistic idea of how it is going to affect the goals of the day and can adjust accordingly. In a sense, I know what I'm forfeiting and can make better decisions. So, we'll see how long this lasts and how it evolves, but I'm excited about it.

1 comment:

  1. routines are great, because it allows a better use of time. However,occasionally, there is also a place for throwing routine to the wind and just going with the flow. hope those times will be easier for you than they were for me! I'm afraid I didn't let that happen as much as I should have. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete