An encouraging verse sent by a friend...Psalm 73:26 "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Transfusion/Health Update

Thank you for praying about the mouth sores. They are nearly gone, and I am really appreciating being able to eat food that requires chewing (even if it doesn't taste right)! I get my methotrexate treatment this week, which is the one that causes mouth sores. So please pray that I won't get more. They hurt so badly! Also, I think that I lost weight from the days of not being able to eat much. Please pray that I'll be able to put it back on; I'll know Tues. when they weigh me in.

The transfusion was difficult. I had a reaction to the platelets which caused itchy throat and persistent cough (sort of like a mild asthma attack). They gave me Benadryl via IV to counteract the reaction, but I needed more to do the job. This led to too much, which put me into a stupor followed by 1/2 hour of flailing arms and such due to the adrenaline. God helped me cope, but it sure wasn't fun. I still don't feel like I've bounced back from it. The oncologist says it might also be "helped" by a steroid they probably gave me. (My transfusion was in Exeter.) So, I feel shaky, weak, emotional, and panicky at times. With each day, the shakiness and panic feelings in my chest seem to be lessening. Thank You, Lord. I am really struggling with all of it though. It's hard to tell my brain that my body is trying to trick me into thinking something is wrong. I have been doing a lot of reciting Scripture about not worrying and about God's love for me. He has plans to prosper me and not to harm me, and His "precious" thoughts toward me can't even be counted. God knew that this was coming and has me in a Bible study with Julie about loving God with all your mind (taking thoughts captive, meditating on things that are true, pure, lovely, etc.). This is good. I was really struggling this afternoon and had 3 hours of quality time with God. God used this prayer/reading time to minister to my soul. I do feel like I rested in Him. Please pray that I will be able to do this moment by moment, particularly as I near my treatment this week. I do not feel ready for it, and that's a tough way to go into things. God can turn things around though.

The thrush is still persisting. The dr. and I will need to have a talk about it on Tues. I'm still rinsing with the Nystatin and will try Deanna's spicy suggestion.

My eyelashes and eyebrows are nearly gone (the eyelashes more so). I haven't even cried about it, so to me, that's evidence that God is growing me. I am thankful for a number of things related to this loss.
*My eyelashes aren't poking me in the eyes anymore due to not having any structure to hold them in the right direction.
*My eyelashes and eyebrows are so light that most people don't even seem to notice.
*I can see baby eyelashes trying to grow in. This reassures me that when all this is over, they'll come back.

Well, I guess that's all for now. Lyndsey wants me to look at pictures with her.

3 comments:

  1. Sarah, We pray for God to give you strength everyday. This past week I had a cellulitis infection in my right arm because of the Lymphidemia and had to have IV antibiotics for two days and had to take oral antibiotics for 10 days, because of it I got a very severe sore throat that was thrush. For the past 10 days I have suffered with it like you and thought how lucky I was because mine was improved with the meds the doctor gave me and the fact that there was an end to my antibiotics. It is almost gone now after 10 days, I still can't taste things but that will soon come back. You have suffered with this for months, I can't even imagine that with everything else you are going through. Just keep thinking in a few months this will all be behind you. Take care this week, I will be thinking about you. Love You Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jean Gagnon and FamilyAugust 6, 2009 at 6:30 AM

    we thought of you all this week, then Becca wke up sick on weds. so i brought her and jason after we packed up the car back to Amesbury. she had a mild case of heat exhaustion. (won't take drinks from strangers) hmm i guess I'm proud she understands the stranger danger, but well have to tweek it :) any how take it easy on those bad days so yuo can enjoy the good ones! we are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. praying for you and carrying you in my heart please ask if you need anything cheryl

    ReplyDelete