An encouraging verse sent by a friend...Psalm 73:26 "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Delayed Treatment

This is a bit late, but as many of you know, my treatment last week was delayed until this week due to the signs that my body was giving off that it needed a break. I wanted to share with you how this was so clearly an answer to prayer, even though it wasn't the answer that I really wanted. (The last thing I want is a longer schedule.)
1. The details of how it happened were so strange, making God's hand in it even more obvious. I ended up not hearing about my blood work Mon. night and as a last minute thought, called JudyAnn to double-check that there wasn't any miscommunication (even though it's very unlikely that the hospital would have notification that I was coming if the blood work hadn't passed). When she called me back after I found out that the bed was already ready (VERY rare), she asked how I was doing. I gave her my report, which led to a call to Dr. Choy and the decision for me not to take chemo. I was totally shocked by this.
2. Mom and I had been praying separately that God would give Dr. Choy wisdom. Until this incident, he has leaned more toward treating me in a manner that has proven to work for people with bone cancer. His decision moved me out of the regular group and into my own category. I hadn't even remembered to tell him that the kids and Bob were sick, which would have probably made his decision that much easier considering my immune system really drops with this treatment.
3. I had also started praying that God would help me to not fix my hope on the end of treatment but truly on Him. I know that it's OK to look forward to the end, but there is a line that I could easily cross where my hope would truly not be in God but rather in circumstances. What good is that? God can control the circumstances, and putting hope in circumstances just leads to disappointment, ultimately. There's no way we can know what is going to happen, but God is always consistent. I am thankful, though, that the end of chemo seems to be drawing closer and that we believe we'll be entering a time of healing for our family (my body, the family routine and time together, raising the kids together rather than so much being on Bob, family involvement in activities with other friends' families), maybe even a return to a somewhat more normal life but hopefully forever changed in good ways by what God has been teaching us. So anyway, along with putting off my treatment, my schedule will be really up in the air, taken week by week. How's that for not being able to hope in the end (being the last week of Oct.)? It might not seem like much difference, but not knowing whether I'm staying or going over the next month will really maintain my sights on God, I believe.
So, there you have it. Answered prayer as well as answered prayer that I didn't even think to pray - God helped me see the good in the delay and not get too discouraged.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, You sound as though you are feeling better, I hope so. Just take this One Day at a Time and God will lead the way to the end of this journey. Whether it is in October or November everthing happens in His time not yours so try to be patient and focus on your family. Praying for you everyday along with so many other people, He is hearing all of it. Take care, Love You. Aunt Dianna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,
    I hope you are aware that you and your family are such an inspiration. I can't help but to think that you have already changed hearts and lives.

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete