An encouraging verse sent by a friend...Psalm 73:26 "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

Monday, October 26, 2009

A Change in Plans

The game plan was that I would go back down to Boston tomorrow night with Melissa and receive my chemo in the wee hours of Wed. morning. Mom would stay with Melissa's and my kids while we were gone, with Melissa's husband taking over after work. We had "helpers" lined up to assist Mom with the 5 kids.
My blood work from today revealed that my kidneys are in high gear, which is a first for me. (Normally, it's my liver that keeps me in the hospital the extra night after methotrexate.) This is my body's way of screaming "UNCLE!" to the doctor, so he has decided that I will not be receiving ANY more methotrexate. This week's treatment is canceled, which as you can imagine left me cheering. I'll get my last treatment, the big guns, next week, as planned.
So for those of you who are concerned about the kidneys, my level should be 0.5-1.3 (with my personal numbers in the range of 0.7-1.0). Today's reading was 2.7. So, I go for blood work again tomorrow to make sure that the numbers are dropping. In the meantime, I need to hydrate more and keep taking the antidote for the methotrexate "until further notice".
I think the coolest part about all of this is how I can see God's hand in it (which I'm not always able to recognize). I was concerned about Mom having all 5 kids, given her fatigue lately and the kids just having got back from family vacation. I was concerned about my body handling the methotrexate as I don't feel ready - still quite fatigued and not quite right. I was bummed to have to tell Anderson's teacher "no" to helping with the pumpkin party on Thursday, due to treatment. Well, this "change in plans" took care of all of that in 1 swoop!

No comments:

Post a Comment