An encouraging verse sent by a friend...Psalm 73:26 "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Medical Updates

The blood transfusion went well and I'm still feeling the effects of it. I am thankful. I tire but haven't been napping every afternoon. My activity levels have been a bit higher than normal too. Dr. Choy says that we need to minimize the number of transfusions, for those of you who are wondering. Also, he said that I'm not supposed to rebound as quickly from treatments on this last stretch as my body has been beaten down so many times. Let's pray that God will prove him wrong. 8)
Weird things are happening with my hair. The hair on my legs STILL has not fallen out. Doesn't that seem like a cruel joke? (I guess it doesn't really matter since I'm too cold to wear shorts anyway, except today.) The hair on my head is all new stuff, evident by the lighter color and the soft texture. Apparently, it grew in while the older hair was falling out. Don't get me wrong; it's very sparse. However, it's encouraging to see my hair growing. (This next treatment will knock it out again.)
My body seems to still be battling thrush. I finished the medicine for it and even though it hasn't come back full-force, I believe I see/taste evidences of it. I'll talk to the dr. about it this week when I'm back in Boston.
I had a physical therapy appt. 2 trips to Boston ago. She gave me new exercises, which is good. They're definitely challenging. Please pray that I will be diligent doing them. This is very difficult. I have also given up the crutch for a cane. It's more challenging to use, but I think it will help me stop some bad walking habits. The problem is, I can't lean on the cane when I'm tired!
My appetite seems to be pretty good. The taste buds are a bit more normal. Last night, I ate a lasagna and ENJOYED EATING!! It was a mean lasagna. I actually had 2 large helpings and a lot of pieces of bread (and salad). This was very encouraging.
The ringing in my ear(s) is still there, so Dr. Choy has decided to reduce the amount of cisplatin (chemo drug) as it can cause hearing loss. I don't think I've lost any hearing capacity, but I'm glad the dr. is listening (can't say I care for the ringing in the ear either).
My shots are going well. Yep, the one a day isn't bothering me (with EMLA cream). Woohoo!

3 comments:

  1. I was just wondering about how things were going this morning, and when you would be heading to the next treatment. Miss you. I'm glad Sara got to visit with you guys. I'll remember to be praying this week as you go back to the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for enjoying food again!!!!! Boo for leg hair not falling out. I'm with you - that does not seem right!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, Hang in there girl you are almost half way there. I'm glad the doctors are listening to you, they seem to be very caring you are lucky. Papa John said he talked to you last night and that you sounded good. Hopefully, the energy level will stay up there for a while. I'll be thinking about you this week. Take care. Love, Aunt Dianna

    ReplyDelete