An encouraging verse sent by a friend...Psalm 73:26 "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Chemo Escapades

We left the house Tuesday at 11:30 to have time to drop off kids in Maine and get to Boston for around 3:00. Upon arrival at 3:30 (after a yummy stop for ice-cream - first time I've wanted it since chemo started), we were informed that they had tried to reach me to tell me to go back home until tomorrow. The patient in "my room" had not been discharged. So, plan B was to have me use the room that was being serviced, except that the newly waxed floors were giving off a lot of odor. Plan C was to wait for a patient to be discharged at midnight and wait for his room to be cleaned (ready around 2 AM). The thought was that we would wait in the solarium (normally a waiting room for friends and family) for 2 hours. That turned to 3 hours, which turned to 4 hours. The solarium was closed off to others as my port had been accessed, and the view is great. The temperature wasn't though. Finally, at 9:00, they rolled a hospital bed into the solarium for me to rest in and so Mom could lie down on the couch. By that time, I was exhausted and had a headache (still no chemo). At 10:00, they decided to try plan B if I could stand the fumes. I checked it out and decided it would be fine. I started chemo at midnight, which ended at 4:00 or so. I did sleep off and on, but it was quite the crazy night. The nap today was much needed. (The staff felt awful and gave us some vouchers for parking and flowers.)

2 comments:

  1. What a bummer! I'm sorry you had to wait so long! Just thought I would let you know that the kids did great. Anderson and Lyndsey had a lot of fun, especially today. I will e-mail pics when I load them on my computer. Hope you are doing well this round! We are praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel (Stacys Mom)July 16, 2009 at 10:13 PM

    I have learned that cancer patients need lots of patience. Let me know if there is ever anything I can do to assist you. I think of you often.

    ReplyDelete