An encouraging verse sent by a friend...Psalm 73:26 "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."

Monday, June 15, 2009

What a lot has happened since the last time I posted, and I'm surprised at how quickly I can forget God's goodness. I know that my emotional state plays into it significantly.
So, yesterday was a horrendous day, but today was better. I'm struggling with being overwhelmed by this whole process, and my tolerance for things like shots is dwindling with each "blow". Getting the Lovenox shots this weekend was extremely painful and did me in, enough that I broke the rules and didn't take some of them. (Me? Not follow the rules?) The EMLA cream helps me not feel the stick (if it's given in the right spot), but the injection of the fluid stings like crazy and considers to sting afterwards. By Sunday morning, it had driven me to anger, which is not a common reaction for me to pain. I'm questioning whether the "rules" that I currently have are overkill or not, especially considering that there weren't any clots in my legs and the ones in my lungs were so small that if the CAT scan hadn't been so good, they wouldn't have even seen them. Now I certainly don't want to play with fire, but anybody who's been through long-term medical care can probably identify with there being a limit to what a person can take. I've been doing a lot of praying about it, so please pray with me that God will give wisdom and guidance through this part of the journey. I trust that He has my health in His hands, in addition to and regardless of the medications I'm on. I am just not sure how to get from Point A to Point B on this leg of the journey.
Another part of the struggle is knowing when to get the blood transfusion. The dr. said to let him know if I'm still really tired this next week, but how tired is too tired? I know that there are risks to the blood transfusion, and it's a bit more complicated with regards to the blood thinners. We also want to minimize the number of transfusions that I need to have. Another thing that is overwhelming me, another thing to turn over to my Lord and trust Him that He will reveal to me what I need to do and at the right time.
In the midst of all of this, I'm really trying to "count my blessings". God has kept me from being as sick this time, both in terms of nausea and the rate of bouncing back. 2 cycles down. My Lovenox shot didn't hurt this morning (God answered Mom, Lyndsey, and my independent prayers while Mom administered it - found out we were all praying afterwards). I still haven't had mouth sores or thrown up, which is uncommon for healthy, young women. Last night, when I awoke feeling stressed about the shot, God put a hymn in my heart and mind and helped me go back to sleep. God has sent blessings of encouragement (although I have to say that I'm having a hard time truly experiencing them, accepting them. Why? I don't know as I know in my head He is so good. This will pass as I know God will bring me beyond it, but it's another part of the struggle).
OK. Off to my shot and bed. I'm really wiped out.

9 comments:

  1. Jean Gagnon and FamilyJune 16, 2009 at 7:18 AM

    hugs and prayers to you from all of us Gagnons. Jason has been keeping up on your weekly updates..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,

    Thinking of you. I have out of town guest will call you again soon.

    Love,
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. sarah,
    have you thought of a freeze lidocaine spray for the shot area if its the outside skin that hurts it will work but if its the injection inside it may not be whats neede .i have some if you want me to bring it over cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have lidocaine cream. We're going to try having it on for 1 hour (instead of 30 min) to see if it will sink a bit deeper. The fluid being injected is what really stings. Thanks for the advice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Sarah,
    The Lovenox shot thing really sucks and I'm sorry. Have you asked the doctors about doing Aspirin therapy instead (especially since the clots are so small?) If they feel it is necessary, then I'll pray that you can handle them. Just think, the alternative to the shots (having a stroke) is a lot worse. I have never had a Lovenox shot, but I give them everyday. I have found that grabbing as much skin/fat as I can (not that you have much!) and pushing the medication as quickly as possible seems to work really well.Good luck and I will continue praying for you every day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have no advice to give, only my love and prayers. You are on my heart. Keep on persevering! This too shall pass, eventually! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah, A blood clot can take your life very quickly, it doesn't matter how big or small. Do what you have to do to get through this part of your therapy and maybe in a week or so they can put you on cumiden. Please Sarah don't slip your doses. We will continue to pray for you. Love, Aunt Dianna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Sarah, I work at MP as a temp (you and I don't know each other) but I received an e-mail about you with a your latest post. I too am currently undergoing medical stress and issues...I am 6 months pregnant and the baby (they tell me) will have kidney problems when he is born. Something that only happens to a handful of children...and is quite rare.
    When I was first undergoing fetal testing (within the same hour I found out the baby was having problems) God plced a hymn in my heart that allowed me to remain calm "Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him how I proved Him o’er and o’er…Jesus, Jesus, PRECIOUS Jesus, oh for grace to trust Him more!"
    I know somewhere in my head that the baby might need a kidney transplant down the road or be on diaysis for his life time. But God is helping me daily to remember His love and mercy for me and my baby. I just wanted to send you a kind word and a thought that has been helping me get through my tough days:
    We have already won…as Christ Followers we have already claimed victory through Jesus. And that we need to live like we are in victory and not live like we are fighting for victory!
    I will remember you and your family in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katherine, that is so hard about your unborn baby. The good news is that he was fearfully and wonderfully made by the Creator of the universe. As he is, he is just right and so loved by our Father, even more than he's loved by you and your husband combined (which is tough to imagine)! Let's ask God for healing of your baby's kidneys, for He is able to do abundantly more than we ask or think to ask (Eph 3:20).
    Thank you for sharing that hymn with me. I know it and will sing it in the hard times.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete